Marx H. "Max" Rethwisch

Error message

  • Notice: Undefined index: taxonomy_term in similarterms_taxonomy_node_get_terms() (line 518 of /home/swiftcounty/www/www/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
  • Notice: Undefined offset: 0 in similarterms_list() (line 221 of /home/swiftcounty/www/www/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
  • Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in similarterms_list() (line 222 of /home/swiftcounty/www/www/sites/all/modules/similarterms/similarterms.module).
admin's picture
Marx Henry "Max" Rethwisch

October 28, 1925 - April 3, 2018

Marx Henry "Max" Rethwisch, 92, of Minnetonka, Minnesota passed away peacefully April 3, 2018.  A memorial service will be conducted at 11 am, Monday, April 9, at Mount Olivert Lutheran Church, 5025 Knox Avenue South, Minneapolis.  A visitation is scheduled for the hour prior to the memorial service.

Max was born Oct. 28,1925, in Frazee, Minnesota, to Rudy and Tina Rethwisch. In his teens, he was an avid hunter and golfer (years later, when he was in his 70s, he would shoot two holes in one). He graduated from Frazee High School in 1943, having lettered in football, baseball and basketball.  After graduation, he spent four months in the United States Navy before returning to Frazee to work for the Post Office and for Rethwisch's Oil Company, the service station owned and operated by his parents.

Sept. 4, 1949, he married Roma Jane Anfinson, whom he had met on the Frazee golf course filling in for a friend (Max's three sons send a heartfelt "thank you" to the friend who had to cancel). After a time in Frazee, they moved to the Twin Cities where Max worked in the automotive field. Over the next decade they had three sons, to whom he would show not only the finer points of baseball and golf, but how to be an honest and compassionate man.

In 1973, Max signed on with Factory Motor Parts to run a wholesale distribution center in Kansas City, the company's first expansion beyond the Twin Cities area. Max and Roma remained in Kansas City until 1983 when Max took a position with FMP in Eagan. He loved his co-workers and they helped to keep him young and to give him a purpose, particularly after Roma died March 26, 2002. He worked for FMP for nearly 45 years, including part-time into his 90s.

For a short time, Max and Roma lived in Benson, her hometown. Max was adored by family, friends and co-workers alike and will be remembered for his kind and gentle nature, his great sense of humor, and his unconditional love of Manhattans.

He was preceeded in death by his parents, Rudy and Tina, and his wife of 52 years, Roma.

He is survived by his three sons, Steve, Dave and Charlie (Dana), two grandchildren, Ellen and Bobby, his sister, Marion Brenk, his sister-in-law, Connie Dabler, and numerous nieces and nephews.

Rate this article: 
No votes yet