Winter storm creates hazardous driving conditions in some areas
With nearly 5 inches of snow on the ground and winds gusting to 30 dropping windchills to a minus 25 degrees, Benson Schools started two hours late Thursday.
Road conditions throughout the area were poor with pack snow and ice creating slick conditions. The Swift County-Benson Ambulance and Benson Fire Department were called to assist at the scene of an accident 3 miles east on U.S. 12 shortly after 11 a.m. Thursday. No report has been issued yet on the status of those in the vehicle.
With the temperature at 3 degrees and the wind gusting to 31 mph at the time, rescue personnel were enduring 20-below windchills.
- Large city roads project gets underway in May
- Benson’s assessed value increases by nearly $1.5 million
- They’re back . . . BHS choir students return from 6-day trip to New York City
- A mild winter means ice goes off Minnesota’s lakes early
- More options made available to buffer strip state requirements